Sunday 2 June 2013

Strike a pose.... maybe a new one!


I have just about recovered from the madness that was week one of my one-month intensive teacher-training course and I am ready to go again for week two. It was an interesting week, starting off with nerves and excitement but I quickly settled into my new surroundings and as I knew I would, developed my routine. I have found my coffee shop for my Americano on the way in and my favourite place for lunch- I even know where to get the best cup cakes, so a very productive week one.

Getting used to a 2 hour practice to start the day was a bit of a challenge initially, it was strange because I practice a lot of yoga and would always have called myself a morning person. Once my alarm goes in the morning I am up and out, I don’t really see the point of the snooze button. But doing a strong class early in the morning is totally different to my usual walk to start the day…. On Monday my body wasn’t exactly loving me but by Friday I actually woke up looking forward to it.

It was a very intense first week but I absolutely loved it. It was a great immersion into yoga and rather than just give me a taste of where my new journey is headed it really gave me a 5-course meal with all the trimmings. Although there was endless amounts of information and new ideas coming at me all week I just took in what I could and know that the rest will filter in at some stage.

For me there was a huge amount of learning in terms of my body awareness through yoga. It is funny, I have been practicing yoga for years and think I am quite flexible so when a teacher offers the option of bending your knees or using a prop…. I don’t take any notice and always presume they are talking to someone else in the class. It’s not because I think I am perfect in every pose (far from it) but because I have developed certain habits and norms in my practice so I stick to them without even realizing that I may not always be making the best of the pose.

We really stripped the poses down this week and went through them in minute detail, which was a massive eye opener. It seems my downward dog isn’t exactly perfect after all! For any non yogi’s this is probably the most common pose and one always felt comfortable with. My legs were straight, my heels reached the floor, my shoulders were relaxed- yeah I had this one in the bag! However, when I volunteered myself for this pose I quickly discovered that I needed to bend my knees and lengthen my stance to achieve that lovely flat back we all think we have when we do downward dog.

Honestly, I was a little taken aback by this at first. It really made me realize that it was like driving a car we all do things a certain way in order to pass the test but then slip into bad habits. Well as I was soon to learn any bad habits that I had picked up along the way were about to be highlighted. I won’t go through it pose by pose but safe to say that I now have a highly intensified body awareness through my poses which I am absolutely delighted with. Throughout the week the teacher encouraged us to bend our knees and use props… when people still didn’t pay attention she made bent knees her only direction and didn’t give the deeper options. I can only speak for myself but I noticed a huge difference in my postures. Suddenly the phrases I have heard hundreds of times were not just words that were passing through my ears I was listening to them, following the direction and as the teacher was saying feeling the benefits.

So why not give it a go? Try it for a few days, in your next few classes maybe bend your knees a little. Or use a block… this is not the easy way out or the beginners option but a tool to assist you to achieve better results in the pose.

Looking back on the last week it has really changed my practiced and helped me to understand the focus of each posture and to realize how important it is to have good teacher who can guide you properly achieve the best pose or modification of a pose for you on any given day. That’s another thing, your body will not be the same every day so habits in yoga don’t work out too well. As I have discovered one day you will have no problem balancing, another day you won’t be able to hold the simplest balance. Or you might find one day you can get so deep into your forward bend that your head is on the floor and the next you are struggling to reach your knees. This does not mean one day you are good at yoga and the next you are bad… it just means your body feels and works differently on different days so listen to it and work within whatever works for you in order to enjoy your yoga practice.

I am carrying this through my day-to-day life too and not limiting this to my yoga practice. We all have good days and bad days, and rather than question or analyse your feelings don’t be afraid to feel them. As I have said many times before- the one person you can’t lie to is yourself- so use this to your advantage. Listen to how you feel and work through it whatever way you need to. I used to be really bad at expressing my feelings, not when I was happy, that was easy but when I felt down or upset and couldn’t quite work out what it was. I felt I had to hide it, put on a brave face and hide behind that bubbly smile and friendly persona that people around me mostly see. But this didn’t feel right, because it made me feel almost false and that is not me at all. So instead I started to listen to how I actually felt and just be me- when I am happy great, when I am sad great, when I am somewhere in the middle great…. Because that is just me.

So maybe try bending your knees in your next downward dog or in your forward bends, maybe the next time you are having a crappy day ring one of your close friends and tell them you are having a crappy day and meet them for coffee or a walk….

I have learned my practice will be different each day, new days will bring new challenges… life happens!!! and sometimes throws us off our normal balance but that’s not a bad thing, just listen to what you feel in your heart and in your body and be you.

 ‘What lies behind you and what lies before you are tiny matters compared to what lies within you!’ 

No comments:

Post a Comment