Tuesday 21 May 2013

The race to nowhere!


I definitely didn’t have a case of the Monday blues this week! You know when you just have one of those really productive days…. I was on a serious creative roll and couldn’t get my ideas out fast enough. My poor little Macbook didn’t know what was going on. I am surprised there wasn’t smoke coming out of if from non stop use and frantic heavy typing on my part, as if that makes what you are typing more real or mean something more J but sometimes it just feels better to type with conviction!

So yes a positive and productive start to the week but as I dragged myself away from the computer last night and collapsed onto the couch I smiled to myself….  For two reasons- firstly I was so happy with the day and all I had done but I was absolutely exhausted, and why? I had tried to do so much in one day that I literally drained the energy out of me from trying to get everything done at once. But secondly I realized how hard it is to take a step back and relax and more importantly switch off when you are working for yourself… This will be a big challenge for me.

For most of us our days are jam packed from the minute we get up we are rushing to the tube or the bus, trying to grab a coffee before work, catching up on emails, racing to fit in a quick gym session, grabbing lunch, rushing to meet the girls after work or trying to get home before the kids go to bed, get the dinner on, catch up with your partner…. Do I need to go on?!

The point is we get caught up in a cycle of rushing and chasing, always looking to the next thing on the to do list or where you have to be and the result is that we loose focus on us. We stop caring and sometimes even realizing what we want and what makes us happy. Before you dismiss that thought…. Think about a situation you faced this week where you had to make a difficult or complex decision, in work, at home, wherever…. Now ask yourself was the decision you made actually your decision? Was it your opinion or was it conditioned by circumstance? Influenced and guided by what others around you wanted or expected?

Be totally honest with yourself…. as I have really discovered on my own journey in the last few months, you cannot lie to yourself. You can try to pretend you feel something different and we have all been there but when you actually stop letting other people influence your opinions you get a massive sense of relief and an inner confidence in who you are, and it is much easier to slow down.

Seriously, just stop for 20 seconds and breathe!!! I see it all the time in yoga classes…. The amount of people who arrive to class totally frazzled and stressed is crazy. I was that person so I know exactly how it feels, there is a part of me that is still rushing and I constantly have to slow myself down and just take a minute to look at what is going on around me… rather than letting my life race past me, I stop and actually look at what is going on in my life, what is around me, what do I not see that stares me in the face every day that somehow melts into my subconscious. So I’m going to leave you on that thought…. This is a much much bigger topic and I will come back to it in the next few days and weeks but I will leave you with this….

Why are you constantly rushing? What are you racing to? If you think about it there is no reward worth finishing this life first, the real fun and happiness is around you every day and the winner is the person who stops to take note and enjoy it. So maybe more importantly maybe you need to look at what you are running away from?

For you yogi’s out there reading this…. Use your yoga practice to give you the headspace you need to focus on you…. Trust in the power of your breath to focus your energy on you and what your body is telling you…. Oh an enjoy it! J

No comments:

Post a Comment