Monday 30 September 2013

Let what you love be what you do!


At the start of 2013 I decided this year was going to be different… Having moved to London at the end of 2011, my first year in London just flew by at a ridiculous pace and I barely had time to enjoy it. Don’t get me wrong it was a great year for lots of reasons but I found myself getting totally sucked into the rat race and the months just blurred by. So the only new years resolution I made at the end of 2012 was to make sure this year was different, I wasn’t quite sure how I was going to do it but that didn’t matter.

So I started off with great intentions but once again found myself working at a crazy pace with very little time for anything other than work. However, this time I was determined to make a change- I was just waiting for the right moment and in a way the inspiration. In March I got it, I went on holiday and did some yoga on the beach and as cliché as it sounds I found myself- by that I mean I found my inspiration, I came home left my job and started my own business… looking back I don’t know why I didn’t do it sooner, I no longer have than Monday morning fear, or Sunday night dread… I truly love what I do. That doesn’t mean there aren’t worry moments or times where I am a little stressed but I have never been so happy- because I followed my heart, I stopped listening to other people and listened to what I really wanted.

This did not happen overnight and the realization of what I wanted was not easy either… I knew I wanted to change my career but let’s be honest most of us think of that at some point in the week… the Monday morning blues, or the mid week hump day! But it is also easy to see the grass as being greener somewhere else when the reality is every job has its good and bad points. However, I just knew this year it was more than the Monday morning blues. I don’t know if I would have ever gotten the courage to make that leap if it wasn’t for a friend of mine… I was dreaming out loud about what I would love to do as a full time job if I could choose anything without any worry over money etc. and just as I was about to rubbish the dream they stopped me and said- Well do it then- What’s the worst that can happen? It was like a cold bucket of water to the face, my mind started racing, I had goose bumps and that was it. I just decided to do it! 

It is almost 7months since that conversation and my life has totally changed, I am the same old me but so much happier- now I totally understand and live by the phrase ‘Let what you love be what you do’. I have had many moments of fear, mostly to do with money, wondering if I will be able to pay the bills but each month these worries shrink a little more and I am learning to trust- in me, in what I do and somehow it is all working out. But these fear or worry moments never came down to my decision, once I heard those words I never doubted the decision and I am so grateful that I finally got the courage to make the change in my life. That’s the thing though, YOU have to make the change. If you are not happy only you can change it, close friends and family can try to advise and help but until you are ready to make the change you won’t hear the words or listen to the advice.

Every day I step on my yoga mat and I smile, whether I am doing my own practice or teaching I really smile and I encourage my students to do the same. I know I am lucky to be able to do what I love as my job and every day I am doing what I am doing I remind myself of that. I am not suggesting everyone who is unhappy in their job leaves, but instead find something that makes you happy. Or go back to something that made you happy, something you have let go which you really loved to do. You are never too busy to take some time for you!

For me it’s yoga, no matter what, once I roll out my mat, slip off my socks and step on my mat I smile- every single time.
What’s your yoga? 

www.facebook.com/EllaBelleYoga
www.twitter.com/ellabelleyoga
www.ellabelleyoga.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment