Monday 9 September 2013

Don't be intimidated- believe in you!


Never teach the teacher, teach the student!

I walked into one of my classes last week and was delighted to see lots of familiar faces and some new eager students. As I introduced myself, some of the new students did the same and went on to tell me all the places they taught and how they were looking forward to my class. All of a sudden I could feel my nerves start to take over, I was instantly brought back to days at school right before a big exam or being in college making a presentation in front of a full lecture hall.  My breath went shallow, my knees went a little wobbly and I could feel a heat rising inside. I quickly scanned the room my eyes feeling pulled towards the door almost like a magnet as I contemplated if I could just make a run for it and leave. How did I impress these highly experienced teachers, what if they didn’t like my style and didn’t think I was good enough? Somehow as these thoughts were racing through my head at a million miles an hour I settled the class down and began the warm up, using my words to try and focus and calm myself as much as for my students. But the adrenaline was taking over, I was over thinking…. I took looked around the room and saw each student was relaxed and connecting with their breath…. so I went back to basics- I listened to my own words and I came back to my breath.

As I calmed my breath, I felt my mind calm and I began to teach, properly, as me. As a teacher I know as much as any teacher that I am also always going to be a student, one of the brilliant things about yoga is that we are all continuously learning and always have something to work towards so I focused on each person in the class as a student and I taught the rest of my class with confidence, encouraging each person to listen to their own bodies and to take their variation of the pose as they needed that day.

After class I felt drained, I usually leave class on a high and feel energized but my reaction and nerves at the start of the class had really stressed me. However, instead of over analyzing it and beating myself up over it I smiled and laughed to myself- what a waste of energy that had been. In any class I teach I can only be me, I had been intimidated by teaching very experienced teachers, I had let self-doubt take over for a few moments and almost let the fear take over and ruin the class. In every class I teach I learn- often from my students and often from my teaching and then to how I deal with situations as they arise and work with each student to develop their own practice. Sometimes the learning’s are subtle and sometimes they are a little more obvious, but in every class there is a lesson for me as the teacher

This class taught me to trust in what I feel, to believe in me and to always teach the student, not the teacher. Again I have seen how easily experiences on the mat and in the studio transfer into my off the mat life. So many examples spring to mind of where I felt intimidated or nervous by being in certain groups and feeling a pressure to impress- in previous work environments and social situations. However, as I have grown and experienced these situations I have grown in confidence. I am not always bursting with confidence but I am less likely to feel intimidated in these situations now. I have been there and done that and just like in the yoga class it is a waste of energy. So my learning this week is to live by you, listen to you and believe in who you are and how great you are. Once you start to believe this, what other people think or do won’t matter. Be true to you!


No comments:

Post a Comment