Tuesday 30 July 2013

Listening to others.... Losing you!


One of my students gave me inspiration today as we were walking out of class she started talking about the course she was studying in college…. In her final year of a Masters in psychology she said she was constantly told to forget the studies and works other people had done, to not listen to other people or be influenced by other peoples works in order to determine her allow her own judgment and opinions to form…. This translated into a really simple analogy for me regarding yoga… As much as listening to other people’s theories, ideas and opinions can influence your own thoughts, decisions and actions on a daily basis the same is true for your yoga practice.

As a teacher I see it all the time, some students become so focused on what other students are doing they lose their own practice. When I am teaching a class I try to subtly remind my students throughout very class to be mindful of their own bodies and how they are feeling in that practice. I encourage them to listen to their bodies and work within their own limits not worrying about what other people are doing but yet often this falls on deaf ears. No matter how often you offer modifications or alternatives some students will be totally led by others around them and they totally lose their own practice.

So why do we find it so hard to listen to our own bodies, work within our own limits and work to get the most we can out of each practice, for our own bodies on that day? Is it a competitive thing, a need to impress those around us in a work environment, which somehow carries through to the yoga studio or even a social setting?

It made me think… In self-practice it is easier to stay focused on your own mat space and work within your own body because there is no one else to disctract you…. As in life! Often when we are on our own we feel strong and confident in our decisions but then crumble or loose faith when we listen to other people’s comments, opinions and criticisms. Over the last few months as I have dived into my little yoga buzz I have been faced with many challenges on and off the mat. I have had to make some tough decisions, which caused adverse reactions from friends and family. I have had countless people wanting to give me their opinion on what I was doing with my career, sometimes positive, sometimes negative. At first I listened and tried to ignore the negativity and focus on what I felt inside and tried to stay true to my feelings but the more I listened the harder it became and I got lost.

No matter how strong you are or how determined you are when you are in a negative environment or are continuously knocked back it is bound to rub off in some way. It may spur you on to be even more successful, it may throw you totally off course and allow the fear gates to flood open so that you lose your confidence…. A 101 things could happen but whatever the impact, it will absolutely cause a reaction and have an effect.

Having experienced this in both a professional office setting and also on my little yoga journey I can only share my learning’s as I have found them… the most important person to listen to is yourself, on and off the mat. Do not rely on the opinions of others to determine your path or your practice…. It is your life live it your way and always remember be true to yourself, the important people in your life will always love you…. Even if you make a mistake!

Don’t be afraid to fall down, believe in your ability to pick yourself up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment