Tuesday 20 August 2013

Can you live in the moment? If you can't control it, let it go!



Can you live in the moment... Learn from yesterday, live today and let tomorrow happen tomorrow?

I am a worrier, I have always been a worrier! My mum is a worrier as is her mum, my nana- so it is in my genes. It is natural for me to stress about the little things, hang onto things in the past and overthink things in the future. This is how I always justified it to myself, but then I look at my brother- same genes, we definitely look related but personality wise there are some striking differences in how we approach things. This is not a biology lesson so I won’t get into who got the better pick of the genes but it is enough to say that my little brother has definitely taught me a thing or two on living in the moment.  So he is 5 years younger and even though our circumstances are different I have always been fascinated by his ability to deal with the here and now,  learn from past experiences but let them go, taking the lessons from them and also keep open minded about the future, not over questioning what is coming up, not needing to have everything set in stone. This is more me!

During my yoga classes this week I encouraged my students to be in the moment, not to hold onto a posture they felt they didn’t go far enough in, or wonder what was coming next in the sequence but to totally focus on each posture as they did it. Also reminding them that their version of the posture was right for them, I asked them not to be influenced or distracted by what others were doing in the room. The goal was to assist them in realizing that every one of us is the best version of ourselves. The result was very mixed, some people took notice and let the frustrated faces and noises go, focused on their own practice and pose…others ignored every word and continued to struggle to go deeper into every posture, watching and copying their neighbours, taking a pose and then almost looking up searching for the next one as if the idea was to get into and out of as many poses as possible in the quickest time. No matter what I said or suggested it was as if they were focused on not hearing the words.

I don’t for one minute think I am on my own, most peoples pace of life causes too much stress and worry over things we can’t control. Whether it is things that are in the past or what may happen in the future. Rather than beat myself up for not connecting with those yogis who didn’t want to try and live in the moment I let it go and resigned myself to the fact that maybe on that day that was the practice they needed for them. 

After some lengthy heart to hearts with my brother I decided to take a leaf out of his book and try to live more in the moment. This is a lot easier said than done, especially for someone like me, however it is also quite a nice sense of freedom. As I am in my late 20’s I have many years of habit to change but I do stop myself now when I find my little worry hat popping out and ask myself a simple question- can I control it? If I can’t, rather than going over and over it in my head wasting time I accept it and try to take a learning from it. It is certainly harder to stick to this off the mat, on the mat I have found a new appreciation for my yoga practice and the daily surprises it throws at me. Sometimes it’s the ease in which I move into postures and other times its what I find challenging in my practice but to be honest it keeps it interesting, I am always learning both in my own practice, classes I attend and every time I teach.

Maybe the next time you are doing your yoga practice, at home on your own or in a class, try to be in the moment, to connect with each posture and make it yours. Off the mat maybe try to live in the day and not worry so much about what you can’t control, learn from it and then live it.

xxx

Twitter: @ellabelleyoga
Website: ellabelleyoga.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment